In the event that there are concerns about your immediate safety or the safety of others, call 911 to request that they attend.
In other situations, where immediate medical attention is not required, call or come to Personal Counselling Services (PCS), which is located at N110 Bennett Centre for Student Services. Our crisis services are designed to assist students who may be experiencing life-threatening circumstances, current or recent traumatic crises or severe psychological difficulties.
Examples of crises include but are not limited to:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Acute emotional distress of an overwhelming nature
- Thoughts about harming another person
- Recent assault or abuse
- Concern about your own safety
- Knowledge of another person being abused or assaulted
- Hallucinations and delusions
- Recent death of a loved one
- Witnessing or experiencing a traumatic event
How to access PCS Crisis Services
PCS has Personal Counsellors on call each day during business hours to respond to students in crisis. If you (or someone you know) is experiencing a crisis and cannot wait for a regularly scheduled appointment with our Intake Counsellor, please contact our office at 416-736-5297, or come in person to Room N110 Bennett Centre for Student Services. A counsellor will meet with you and assess your situation. Be sure to indicate to the receptionist that you are experiencing a crisis and need to speak with someone right away.
Staff & Faculty are often in an excellent position to recognize behaviour that may signal that a student is in emotional distress and may need help. Being able to recognize signs of emotional distress and being willing to acknowledge your concerns directly to the student can be an important factor in successful problem resolution for the student. For more information see Identifying & Responding to Students in Distress: Resources for Faculty and Staff.
PCS Hours and Location
Location: Room N 110, Bennett Centre for Student Services
Hours of Operation
Location: Glendon Hall E103
Hours of Operation
Should you require assistance for an urgent situation outside of our regular operating hours, you can call:
- Police at 911
- York Security at extension 33333
- Assaulted Women’s Helpline 416-863-0511
- Good2talk.org 1 866 925 5454
The Closest Hospital Emergency Departments are:
Humber River Regional Hospital
2111 Finch Avenue West (just east of Highway 400)
The phone number for the emergency department is 416-747-3833.
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Avenue (just south of Lawrence Ave.)
The phone number for the emergency department is 416-480-4207 ext 0.
Additional Crisis Teams Across the GTA:
- Barrie Crisis Team: 705-728-5044
- Crisis Services of Waterloo Region: 519-744-1813
- COAST (Hamilton area): 905-972-8338
- Durham Mental Health Services: 1-800-742-1890/905-666-0483
- 4 County Crisis Community Mental Health Crisis Response Program: 705-745-6484/866-995-9933; serves Peterborough, City of Kawartha Lakes, Haliburton and Northumberland. Short-term crisis counselling and crisis bed available.
- The Gerstein Centre: 416-929-5200; serves the former city of Toronto.
- Peel Crisis Services: 905-278-9036
- Scarborough Mobile Crisis Program: 416-495-2891; serves Scarborough and parts of East Toronto.
- York Support Services Network: 310-COPE (No area code needed)