Consultation with PCS

Personal Counselling Services (PCS) provides consultation to the York Community regarding issues related to students in distress/crisis as well as issues related to mental health in general.

There are at least two professional counselling staff ‘on- call’ at any given time. These Counsellors can usually respond to a call from a concerned York community member in a very timely fashion. If it is important that you speak to someone right away please make the receptionist aware of the urgency.

You can reach us by calling 416 736 5297 during regular business hours.

PCS Counsellors may be able to help you:

  • Assess the situation: determine the nature and seriousness of the situation
  • Explore ways of approaching the student
  • Learn about resources for the student
  • Discuss how and where to refer the student
  • Clarify your own role and feelings in the situation

Please keep in mind that you do not need to be able to diagnose or even very clearly define what is happening with the student– it is important just to notice that something is wrong and to try to get help for the student. For further information see Identifying & Responding to Students in Distress.

For more information on various campus resources to which you might refer students please see the "crisis folder" titled Identifying and Responding to Students in Crisis: A Guide for Faculty and Staff.

If your concern is about the disruptive behavior of a student you may want to first contact the Office of Student Community Relations (OSCR).

In some situations it may be unclear which university office you should contact and, indeed, in some situations it may be best to speak with staff in a couple of units. When you contact PCS we will listen and offer what we can to help and, if appropriate, will then refer you to other services that may also be helpful. One thing to note is that PCS is often more limited by confidentiality than other offices. We may, therefore, suggest that you bring a student to us for crisis intervention, while also suggesting that you contact other offices to alert them that there is a student about whom you are concerned. You can then work with the people in that unit to determine additional ways to help or intervene. Contacting other units puts the student on the radar of the people in the university who need to be aware and it helps ‘connect the dots’ about a situation that may become more problematic.